I now have a proof-of-concept working that demonstrates that our library will work for multiple browsers. We had been having a problem where Safari doesn’t support the keyword const, so I took those out. Then I found out that someone who had worked on the library before me had been using ‘let’ to create variables. This wasn’t a problem when we where only on Firefox, but other browsers don’t support it, so I had to find all the lets and convert them to vars. Then I had to find all the spots where we used Canvas…Array and switch them to WebGL…Array, but only when running Safari (borrowing a bit of code from the lessons at LearningWebGL made that much simpler).
Cross-Browser Orbiter Demo
On Firefox we just put
and the beginning of c3dapi.js looks like this
For Safari that doesn’t work, so we’ve had to put all those script tags into the page header manually, which looks like this:
In short, we’ve got a demo that works for both Firefox and Safari, but it only works because of a temporary fix. Fixing it permanently is the next thing on my to-do list. I should also mention there is a known issue: The moon is not being lit in Safari. After I sort out this issue with including files, I’ll investigate that too.